Trócaire is a Development Agency of the Irish Catholic Church. The Agency works in Zimbabwe under an MoU with the Zimbabwe Catholic Bishops Conference. A vacancy for a Programme Accountant has arisen within its Zimbabwe Office. The successful candidate will be managed by the Finance and Admin Manager and work in close collaboration with the Programme Manager as well as Programme Officers. The key deliveries for the position are monitoring and supporting Finance and Governance in Partner Organisations, Financial Control and Reporting and Budgeting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Governance in Partner Organisations:
– Support the work of the programme team in reviewing partner financial and narrative reports ensuring consistency of information provided and that Trócaire and donor requirements are being met
– Review Trócaire records ensuring that partner financial reporting is up to date and properly maintained, in accordance with Trócaire and donor requirements
– Lead an ongoing process to appraise partner organisations financial controls and systems in line with the Trocaire Partner Governance and Finance manual. Ensuring recommendations are implemented in agreement with the partner.
– Provide support to the Finance/Accounts Departments of partner organisations to enable them to produce and submit accurate expenditure reports. Support will include design of accounting and reporting systems, design of spreadsheets, training and on-going financial guidance.
– Participate in all programme team meetings to ensure a full understanding of all programme work and any financial implications arising.
Financial Control and Reporting:
– Guided by the Finance and Administration Manager, ensure that the relevant Trócaire organisational financial policies and procedures are adhered to and implemented in a standardised manner across all of the country programmes.
– To ensure that the programme department finance activities meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines as specified by the Finance and Administration Manager
– Closely monitor all programme activities, and keep the Programme Manager and Finance Manager advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance
– Assist with donor, external and internal control audits as required
– Assist with investigations into alleged fraud or irregularities at partner organisations
– Ensure a monthly Partner and Capacity Building Assessment Report is submitted to the Finance and Administration Manager and to Finance in HQ.
Programme Staff Capacity Building:
– To facilitate and provide basic training, technical support and guidance to the country program staff for skills improvement in the areas of budget preparation and monitoring, budget revision, reporting, and internal control
– Assists in improvement of work processes and increase efficiency within the programme function.
– Assist the Programme Manager and other budget holders in conducting the budget process for the country programmes, ensuring that appropriate levels of technical support and guidance is provided to all budget holders during the process of preparing the budget and subsequent revisions
– Assist budget holders with preparation of donor budgets; ensure compliance with donor regulations and to ensure incorporation into the country annual operating budget & budget revisions
– Review with all programme budget holders monthly reports as available on Agresso Business World and facilitate with programme staff follow up of any issues/variances arising
– Any other related duties assigned by Country Director or Finance and Admin Manager.
The ideal candidate will have:
– A relevant Accounting diploma/ degree
– Minimum 3 years experience in an Accounting and/or Finance position – preferably in an NGO
– Experience of working within an organisation that promotes a partnership model
– Expertise in Word and Excel and online Financial Management systems
– Commitment to Trócaire values
– Excellent communication skills and be a team player.
In return we offer a competitive salary and package commensurate with education and experience.
Full job description available on request from [email protected]
To apply: Email your cover letter and detailed CV to [email protected] with “Programme Accountant” in the subject line.
Interviews will be held in February with a start date of March 1st pending availability of the successful candidate.