THE woman who accused Walter Magaya of raping her on Tuesday withdrew her case claiming she had been threatened with death in the event that the popular Harare Prophet does not get convicted.
According to an affidavit of withdrawal tendered to a Harare magistrate, the woman said she has been receiving threats for the past four months and has, as a result, been living in fear.
“I am living in fear and I don’t want to keep on living under threatening conditions. I have been receiving threats from people who are threatening to shoot me in the event I don’t testify well against the accused for him to be convicted or if by any chance I decide to withdraw. I have come to the conclusion that this case in now beyond me,” reads the affidavit.
Although the police confirmed that the woman had indeed approached them intending to withdraw the case, the affidavit was reportedly not placed on the record because it was not procedurally tendered.
According to the state media, the affidavit was tendered to magistrate Vakai Chikwekwe.
The Prophetic Healing and Deliverance ministries leader was dragged to court about four months ago.
Allegations are that on a date unknown to the state, but in June last year, Magaya invited the woman to a house in Mount Pleasant where he raped her once without using protection.
Magaya allegedly gave her $200 after that. The woman then allegedly told her boyfriend about the rape the following month and he advised her to report the matter to the police.
According to the state, there are audio recordings of the conversations between Magaya and his alleged victim after the rape allegations and three witnesses were lined up to testify in court