WOMEN’S RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES
The Carmelite Sisters (O. Carm.) work in the eastern part of Zimbabwe.
Congregation of the Sisters of Nazareth (PSN) are based in Nazareth House in Harare.
Dominican Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are responsible for a wide range of pastoral work throughout Zimbabwe, including healthcare, education, care of orphans, and a school for the deaf.
Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM) have five communities in Matebeleland. Their primary ministry is nursing. For over 50 years they have run the Mater Dei Hospital in Bulawayo and more recently the Hwange Colliery Hospital.
Little Children of our Blessed Lady (LCBL) are a diocesan order founded by Archbishop Aston Chichester SJ in the Harare Archdiocese.
The Little Company of Mary (LCM) works as nurses.
Missionaries of Charity (Sisters of Mother Theresa) in Ardbennie, Harare are the only community of their congregation in Zimbabwe. Of the five Sisters, four are Indian and one is from Tanzania. Until recently there was one from Kenya, Sr Benita, but she was transferred to be superior in Maputo,Mozambique. There are houses of Mother Theresa’s Sisters also in South Africa (Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town), Zambia, Malawi, Madagascar. Sisters of Mother Theresa work with the poor and old people in Mbare.
The Poor Clare Community, when founded in 1985, was the first comtemplative community in Zimbabwe. Their monastery is the old Franciscan friary in Waterfalls.
The Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (RSCM) have a Zambezi Province, including Zimbabwe and Zambia.
The Servants of Mary the Queen (AMR) is a Diocesan Congregation in Bulawayo.
Sisters of Charity of St. Bartolomea Capitanio and St. Vincenza Gerosa are based in Marlborough, Harare, where they operate the G. Spagnolli Centre for the Health and Promotion of Women.
Sisters of the Child Jesus (SJI) address the needs of women and children from disadvantaged groups of Zimbabwe’s society . The SJI Motherhouse is located in Gweru Diocese at Driefontein Mission and Generalate is in the city of Gweru.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur came to Zimbabwe in 1899 to work with children at Empandeni-Embakwe. In Harare, the Sisters run the Tariro Yedu project which prepares children to enter the school system. In their Bulawayo communities, the Sisters provide vulnerable children with food and educational opportunities.
Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Presentation Sisters, PBVM) are involved in education, nursing and pastoral work.
MEN’S RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES
They have been committed to educating African youth for over seventy-five years beginning in 1931 when the first group of four Brothers was sent to staff the mission school in Gulu, Uganda. Within the next thirty years Brothers from the United States have founded or helped staff education institutions in Lesotho (1937), Kenya (1948), Zambia (1956), Zimbabwe (1961) and Uganda (1931).
The return of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart to Zimbabwe in the early 1980s was a miraculous occurrence of rebirth and new life. Loreto Secondary School was the center of that rebirth for many years. (See more faith-based schools in Zimbabwe)
The English Benedictines of Ampleforth Abbey founded the Monastery of Christ the Word at Monte Cassino near Macheke in 1996. They assist the Precious Blood Sisters with the Monte Cassino Girls High School.
The Capuchins (OFM Cap) are one of the three great branches of the first order of the Franciscan family tree. The first Capuchins to come to Zimbabwe were from the Province of Amala Annai (Immaculate Conception) in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu in 1989. They began their life at Our Lady Queen of Peace parish in Entumbane, which is part of the Archdiocese of Bulawayo, and at Fatima Mission in Hwange. Now they are also active in the Mutare and Gokwe dioceses.
Over 20 Carmelites (O. Carm.) live and work in 9 mission houses in Zimbabwe.
Christian Brothers (CFC, CB) have worked as teachers in Zimbabwe since 1954 in the Christian Brothers College in Bulawayo and the Embakwe Secondary School.
The Divine Word Missionaries (SVD) conduct several parishes and missions in Western Zimbabwe. Among their 19 missionaries now in the country is Archbishop Alex Thomas of Bulawayo.
The Irish Franciscans (OFM) came to Zimbabwe in the 1950s and today there are about 40 friars in the country (formally the Custody of the Good Shepherd). A good summary of their work can be found in Celebrating 50 Years of the Franciscan Order in Zimbabwe: 1958-2008. (pdf).
The Marist Brothers direct several schools.
The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) have seven full members in Zimbabwe, working in the Bulawayo area, and a number of seminarians in formation.
The pastoral work of the Redemptorists (C.Ss.R.) in Zimbabwe is mainly conducted through five churches in the Archdiocese of Harare.
The Zimbabwe Province of the Society of Jesus (SJ, Jesuits) conducts a dozen parishes and missions with numerous outstations, schools and social centers in the diocese of Harare and Chinoyi. Arrupe College is the Jesuit School of Philosophy and Humanities for English-speaking Africa. RelZim.org articles about the Society of Jesus in Zimbabwe.
The Spiritans (Holy Ghost Fathers, (Spiritans, CSSp) in Zimbabwe work in parishes and education.
St. Patrick’s Missionary Society (SPMS, Kiltegan Fathers) has worked in Zimbabwe since 1989.
There are some members of the Schoenstatt movement in Zimbabwe.
Constitutions of the Sodality of St. Anne.